40 Surprising Taylor Swift Facts That All True Swifties Should Know
So you know the lyrics to every hit song from "Tim McGraw" to "Me," but do you know Taylor Swift's favorite dessert?
Taylor Swift has some of the most devoted fans on the planet. They'll wait in line for hours just to get a glimpse of the multi-talented singer and will belt out every word of her songs at concerts.
From her music to her life before she became a musical sensation, here are 40 facts all true Swifties should know. (Of course if there are a few facts you don't know, as Taylor might say, just shake, shake, shake, shake it off.)
1. Taylor's parents named her after singer/songwriter James Taylor.
2. Taylor grew up on a Christmas tree farm in Berks County, Pennsylvania before later moving to Nashville to pursue music.
3. When she was 12, computer repairman taught her how to play three chords on the guitar. It wasn't long before she wrote her firs song "Lucky You”.
4. Spiders and snakes are some of Taylor's worst fears.
5. In her Nashville home, she has a framed photograph of Kanye Wese. The photo is captioned with "Life is full of little interruptions."
6. Taylor is a multi-instrumentalists and can play banjo, guitar, ukulele, and piano.
7. Age 11, she performed at a Philadelphia 76ers game and sang ‘The Star-Spangled Banner‘. She also won a local talent competition singing the LeAnn Rimes "Big Deal."
8. Karlie Kloss is one of Taylor's best friends and even has a room that's just for her to stay in at Taylor's NYC home.
9. Taylor wrote a 350-page novel when she was 12. So far, it has never been published.
10. Speaking of books, The Hunger Games and To Kill a Mocking Bird, are two of Taylor's favorite books.
11. Taylor was inspired to move to Nashville to pursue music after watching a Behind the Music episode about Faith Hill.
12. Taylor has one brother, Austin Swift. He works as a freelance photographer.
13. Besides Faith Hill, Taylor is a huge fan of Shania Twain and cites the Canadian singer as one of her biggest musical influences.
14. Taylor has said that she's not sure if she would ever get a tattoo, but that if she did, she'd get the number 13.
15. Taylor was one of the first country musicians to really develop a huge fan base by promoting herself on Myspace.
16. Taylor Swift's maternal grandmother was an opera singer. Her name was Marjorie (Moehlenkamp) Finlay.
17. Taylor was the first SNL host to writer her own song for an SNL monologue. It was called "My Monologue Song" and took jabs at Joe Jonas and Kanye West.
18. Her family owned both a Shetland pony and Quarter horses. While living in Pennsylvania, she learned English Riding as a kid and competed in horse shows.
19. At just 20-years-old, Taylor won the Grammy for Album of the Year in 2010 for "Fearless." She was the youngest artist to ever win a Grammy in that category.
20. In 2005, Taylor was told by an interviewer, “If music doesn’t work out, you could be a hair model“. In 2012, the same woman interviewed her again and apologized for the comment.
21. Taylor was 14 when her family packed up and moved to Nashville, Tennessee so that she could pursue music.
22. Taylor had a cameo in Hanna Montana: The Movie. She can be seen playing her song "Crazier" during a slow dance scene in the film.
23. Taylor's big break in Nashville came after she performed at the Blue Bird Cafe in 2006. She was signed to Big Machine Records.
24. Taylor's job as a kid on the Christmas tree farm was making sure all the trees were clear of bugs before being sold. Except one time she forgot and a bunch of baby praying mantises hatched in a family's tree!
25. Taylor has a cat named Meredith after Dr. Meredith Grey from the TV show Grey's Anatomy. Her second cat is named Olivia after Olivia Benson from the TV show Law and Order: SVU.
26. She's a fan of phone cases, particularly vintage-looking handmade ones that you might find on Etsy.
27. She decided not to publicly say who she was voting for in the 2016 US presidential election, because she thought it was more important that people simply get out and vote.
28. She's a winner. She's won over 340 various music awards and been nominated some 500 times.
29. Taylor’s first hit single was called "Tim McGraw." It reached the top 10 songs on the country charts in 2006 and she later performed it with the man himself.
30. Taylor's of course a fashion icon and one of her most famous outfits was this disco ball inspired Balmain design for the 2018 American Music Awards.
31. Taylor has a bit of a sweet tooth and her favorite dessert is cheesecake.
32. Taylor only wears contact lenses when out in public. At home she normally wears glasses.
33. Taylor's outfit for the 2016 Met Gala in NY was designed by Louis Vuitton.
34. Taylor announced her new single "Me" by surprising fans in Nashville with a giant butterfly mural. Fans were encouraged to come by and take their own photo with the butterfly wings.
35. You probably won't ever see Taylor sitting next to you on a commercial flight. She prefers to take her Dassault Falcon 900 private jet.
36. Taylor loves herself a good pair of boots, and one of her favorite looks is a sundress and pair of cowboy boots.
37. She's kind of a nervous driver. Taylor said that when a Rolling Stone journalist was riding around with her, she got into two car accidents... in the same day!
38. In 2009, Taylor Swift made country music milestone by selling more digital downloads than any other country artist in music history.
39. Taylor wanted the video for her single "Shake it Off" to be a fan experience and selected some lucky Swifties to appear in the video with her.
40. Before the release of 1989, a lucky 89 of her biggest fans were invited over to Taylor's house to listen to the album. Taylor's guests were also given fresh-baked cookies.