Should You Go After That Arts Degree Or Listen To Your Parents?

Do you follow your dreams and trust that a BFA in Opera will somehow lead you to a happy ending , or is your dad right to not-so-subtly suggest that you find a major you can actually do something with -- like accounting? Let's find out whether you should go the sensible route or take the major less traveled by.

MTV
Created by MTV
On Jun 4, 2015

As a kid, when a classmate had a cool toy that you didn't, you...

When you picture yourself in 25 years, the first thing that comes to mind is:

You have $20 to place a bet. Do you gamble on a 90% chance of winning another $5 -- or a 10% chance of winning $100?

The idea of asking your parents for money...

The most important thing in life is:

If you're being honest, other people's opinions of you...

By the time you're 30, it's important that you:

When faced with disappointment, you:

You've run out of gas on the side of the road, and you're getting hungry. You...

Future You comes back in a time machine and tells you that you're in a career other than your art. This information:

Stay on Easel Street

Stay on Easel Street

You have a singular passion that drives virtually everything that you do. You know that life after college isn't going to be easy, but you're prepared to struggle for your art because there is nothing else you could ever see yourself doing. You've always been a passionate person, and are more than willing to live with some temporary discomfort and financial instability because you know in the long run it will mean enjoying a fulfilling career.

Go With Your Gut .... But Take a Math Class Just in Case

Go With Your Gut .... But Take a Math Class Just in Case

You are a talented and imaginative person and will be a fierce competitor in whichever field you end up in. You'll be happiest in a job that allows you creative expression of some kind, but you also understand that it's hard to do anything on an empty stomach, and are willing to compromise a little when it comes to finding a job that is both lucrative and fulfilling.

Minor in the Arts is a Majorly Good Plan For You

Minor in the Arts is a Majorly Good Plan For You

You have an artistic streak, but if you're honest, your art is really a hobby for you. You are happy to work at a job that is not 100% creative if it means having a salary and benefits that will allow you to do things like take nice vacations and eventually own a home. You'll enjoy your artsy electives, but when it comes to choosing a major, your best bet is something that will set you up for a wide variety of high-paying jobs.

Maybe Stick With Something Stable

Maybe Stick With Something Stable

The idea of not knowing how you'll pay your rent gives you a panic attack the size of the GDP. You are a very stable person who thrives in situations where you have a very well-defined path to success. You can appreciate the arts and have good taste in things like paintings and music, but as far as your own creative endeavors are concerned, you'll stick to color coding your spread sheets.