Calling All Little Monsters, These Lady Gaga Facts Will Make You Gaga For Her
No other performer is quite like Lady Gaga. How much do you know about the eccentric and talented star?
Ever since Lady Gaga bursts onto the music scene in 2007, she's been hailed as one of the most eccentric talents in pop music. From her crazy fashion to wild stage shows, Lady Gaga certainly knows how to drive her fans gaga!
Here are 40 facts about the singer/songwriter that all Little Monsters should know.
1. She's the first woman to win a Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, and BAFTA in the same year. All of them were for "A Star is Born."
2. Her video for "Paparazzi" won two awards at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards for Best Art Direction and Best Special Effects.
3. She learned to play the piano by ear at age 4 and was composing her own songs by the time she was 13.
4. Lady Gaga is a huge David Bowie fan and has a framed letter from the rock star on her mantel at home.
4. She wrote her breakout song "Born This Way" in just 10 minutes and it sold more than one million tracks in its first five days.
5. Sir Elton John asked Lady Gaga to be the godmother to his two sons.
6. She was 19 when she decided to drop out of New York University and make a go at a full-time music career.
7. Very random fact... Lady Gaga's father is the president of president of GuestWifi, and helped spread make wifi a standard amenity in hotel rooms.
8. She took her name from the popular Queen song "Radio Gaga."
9. Her song with "Telephone" with Beyonce, was originally written for Britney Spears and supposed to appear on her album "Circus."
10. At age 20, just one year after dropping out of NYU, Lady Gaga signed her first record deal with Interscope Records.
11. Lady Gaga's natural hair color is brown, but she decided to dye it blonde after a reporter mistook her for Amy Winehouse.
12. She was once cited by Chicago police for indecent exposure because she wasn't wearing pants in public.
13. She attended Convent of the Sacred Heart high school in New York City. If it sounds familiar it's because it's the high school on Gossip Girl... and Gaga even had a cameo!
14. Gaga's iconic meat dress was indeed made of real meat and reportedly weighed 50 pounds!
15. After getting her record deal, Gaga wrote songs for Fergie and New Kid on the Block, whom she toured with in 2008.
16. She's used to the haters and when she was in college somebody even created a Facebook group called "Stefani Germanotta, you will never be famous."
17. Lady Gaga's extravagant costumes for her Monster’s Ball tour left her $3 million in debt.
18. Before she got famous, she worked as both a waitress and go-go dancer in NYC's Lower East Side.
19. She surprised fans in 2009 at a Best Buy in West Hollywood. She noticed fans waiting for her had been there all night, so Gaga spent $1,000 on pizzas for her “little monsters”.
20. When she was a kid, her mother made her sit at the piano for at least an hour a day, regardless if she played a single note.
21. Lady Gaga's real name... Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta.
22. While texting, "Radio Gaga" her phone added "Lady" instead of "Radio" and she decided that "Lady Gaga" would be her stage name.
23. Lady Gaga's song "Born This Way" was inspired by the title for the gay disco song "I Was Born This Way."
24. Lady Gaga has a younger sister named Natali who works in the fashion industry.
25. Lady Gaga's first tattoo was the letter "G" on her lower back and all of her tattoos are on the left side of her body.
26. Before she became a famous singer, Lady Gaga dabbled in acting and appeared in episodes of The Sopranos and The Hills.
27. While filming A Star is Born scenes at the 2017 Coachella Festival, nothing was played on the speakers. This was so that nobody in the audience could hear the music and leak it before the film's release.
28. Lady Gaga only wore lip balm while filming A Star is Born, but said as soon as filming wrapped she immediately dyed her hair back to blonde.
29. She often carries a purple teacup with her because it makes her "feel more at home." She typically drinks tea with her mother while at home.
30. Lady Gaga often wears heels that make her appear much taller, but she's really only 5'1.
31. Cooking is one of her favorite hobbies and she enjoys trying new Italian recipes.
32. She made her catwalk debut for designer Nicola Formichetti at the Mugler fashion show in Paris in 2011.
33. Lady Gaga's favorite drink is Jameson Whiskey on the Rocks and her favorite cartoon character is Bugs Bunny.
34. She's petrified of ghosts and spent $50,000 on an Electro-Magnetic Field Reader to keep ghosts and other paranormal entities away while she's on tour.
35. The tattoo on the inside of her left bicep is a quote from her favorite philosopher, Rainer Maria Rilke, and translates to: "In the deepest hour of the night, confess to yourself that you would die if you were forbidden to write. And look deep into your heart where it spears its roots the answer and ask yourself; must I write?”
36. She was bullied in school, but had the last laugh after she was on the cover of Vogue and tweeted: “They used to call me ‘rabbit teeth’ in school and now I’m a real live VOGUE BEAUTY QUEEN."
37. The heavy metal band Iron Maiden is one of her greatest inspirations for creating a career legacy. "I always used to say to people, when they would say, ‘Oh, she’s the next Madonna.’ No, I’m the next Iron Maiden."
38. Lady Gaga loves dogs, particularly great danes and has featured them in her videos for "Paparazzi," "Pokerface," "Love Game," "Eh, Eh," "Telephone," "Bad Romance" and "Alejandro."
39. At the 2011 MTV VMAs, Gaga performed under the alter ego Jo Calderone and would only answer questions if she was addressed by her alter ego's name.
40. She lives her life by the motto "Life is a performance."