Trying To Lose Weight: Which Diet Is Right For You?
Diet trends have been around forever and probably aren't going anywhere. But which is right for you? And do they actually work?
Juice cleanses, grapefruits, Fit Tea, oh my! These are some of the ways people have tried losing weight. When you see your favorite celeb posting a flawless picture on Instagram in a swimsuit, you're probably thinking 'how do they looks so good'? It must be magic. Or maybe just a new trendy diet.
While diet trends are not always sustainable for a healthy lifestyle, they can produce quick results and encourage changes in eating habits. Find out which diet trend you should try!
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Katie Shepherd has some thoughts on the most Googled trend diets of 2018. "I think they work short term but most of the time diets are short term," she says and adds that with diets like Keto or Paleo you're cutting out whole food groups. When you eliminate carbs from your diet, of course you're going to lose weight. But what these diet trends don't tell you is you'll probably gain that weight back. So why do people still try them? "It's a quick fix," RDN Shepherd says.
"The number of trendy diets out there show we haven't found a one-size-fits-all", she says and adds "I don't think there's a hard and fast rule 'this diet is good for everybody'". "Everybody feels their best when they eat a bit differently." The best diet she can recommend is eating all the food groups - even ice cream and pizza. Eat nutritious foods 80% of the time and allow yourself to eat foods you enjoy the other 20%, Shepherd says. "In the middle is a really sweet spot where you're actually nourishing your body and eating until you're satisfied."
Tell us - what's the right diet for you?
The information on this article is not intended to be a substitute for consultation, evaluation or treatment by a medical professional and/or registered dietitian or nutritionist.