This Teen Died From Drinking Too Much Caffeine
Davis Allen Cripe, a 16-year-old student in South Carolina, dropped dead in the middle of class in April after drinking too much caffeine in a two-hour time period. Do you think kids should be allowed to drink caffeine?
On April 26, Davis Allen Cripe consumed a cafe latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew, and an energy drink in the span of just two hours. At 2:30 p.m., in the middle of one of his classes, his heart stopped and just an hour later, he was declared dead. Cripe had no undiagnosed heart conditions and was in perfect health before drinking the three energy drinks, and his cause of death has now been officially declared a caffeine overdose.
Children between the ages of 12 to 18 should not consume more than 100 mg of caffeine per day, while adults can consume up to 400 mg, and up to 73% of children intake caffeine daily. But now, Cripe's father, Sean, is warning other families of the danger caffeine may hold for their children.
Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up. We worry about their safety, their health... Parents, please talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks.
But now what we'd like to know is...